Click here for more information.
Serves as a key strategic partner to the Executive Director of Operations, and the Operations Department senior management team, participating in the development of tactical and strategic plans to meet department goals, building the team capability to deliver toward those goals, insuring that team roles and responsibilities are clear at all times, and team projects and initiatives are on an effective trajectory to achieve those goals; and addressing issues and obstacles that could impair the team's effectiveness. The Chief of Staff is responsible for leading strategic initiatives and special projects that involve multiple divisions of the Operations Department and/or require immediate response.
Essential Functions: The following duties ARE NOT intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this classification, only a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
- Plans, directs, coordinates, and reviews the work of assigned staff; assigns work activities and coordinates schedules, projects, and programs; provides constructive feedback; reviews and evaluates work and makes effective suggestions and recommendations.
- Participates in organizational design, staffing and recruitment. Coaches, trains and motivates staff; coordinates and/or provides staff training; and manages employee relations; manages the workflow and prioritization of projects and measures the performance of the division and all related staff and takes appropriate corrective action when necessary; provides advice and counsel to staff; develops developmental work plans for staff; implements or recommends corrective actions, discipline and termination procedures as appropriate/necessary; and provides labor relations support to Tacoma Link and lead collective bargaining agreement negotiations.
- Teams with Department leadership to develop and prioritize department plans to achieve the agency's mission and goals, addresses issues and obstacles that impede progress toward achieving goals.
- Directs the allocation of department resources, including the preparation of the department budget, to achieve goals and objectives; provides leadership and direction to Operations program scopes, schedules and budgets; makes recommendations and forecasts for future funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; reviews and approves department expenditures and implements changes as appropriate; adjusts plans and programs to address new and emerging programs, policies, and expectations. Develops and vets program and project level business cases, interfaces with vendors to insure effective communications of goals, requirements, and issues; evaluates and selects potential solutions based on effectiveness, risk and cost. Develops reports and provides benchmark reports and other Key Success Indicators to assure management of agile yet best practices.
- Manages and directs Operations Department work, providing clarifications and general direction on issues; assumes management responsibility for the services and activities of the Department; directs Department consultants and contractors in the administration and implementation of programs and projects; ensures that projects, services, programs, and operations of the Department are completed within the scope, schedule, and budget and that all objectives are successfully met.
- Serves as a resource on Board-specific and general department matters; in collaboration with Board Administration Staff, provides for staff support to the Board chair, vice-chairs, committee/task force chairs, and others as needed/requested; facilitates the work of staff on issues requiring Board consideration, review, and approval.
- Manages the expectations of variety of the external stakeholders, regulatory agencies and the broader community; provides prompt and concise feedback or corrective actions as necessary; and develops partnerships with local government agencies to keep abreast of local practices.
- Provides support to the Legal and Executive Departments on matters as directed; serves as staff on a variety of committees; attends and participates in professional group meetings; maintains awareness of new trends and developments in the fields related to area of assignment; incorporates new developments as appropriate; ensures processes, policies and practices are interpreted and applied consistently and effectively; ensures accountability and compliance with all current and applicable state and federal laws, Agency policies and procedures, rules and regulations.
- Other duties as assigned.