ABOUT US: Ventures is a Seattle-based nonprofit that empowers aspiring entrepreneurs with limited resources and unlimited potential to improve their lives through small business ownership. We provide access to business training, capital, coaching and hands-on learning opportunities for entrepreneurs. We serve those in our community for whom traditional business development services are out of reach, with a focus on women, people of color, immigrants, and individuals with low income. Our ultimate goal is to support individuals to increase their income potential, achieve longterm financial stability, and provide for their families, and enrich their communities through small business ownership.
WHAT IT’S LIKE TO WORK FOR VENTURES: Ventures strives to provide impactful programs, while maintaining a healthy work-life balance and positive, team-oriented atmosphere. Our core values are Diversity, Integrity, Community, Empowerment, Innovation, and Client Success. Our team consists of 15-20 employees, plus a corps of contractors and volunteers, as well as an engaged Board of Directors.
POSITION OVERVIEW: This is a new position, reporting directly to the Executive Director, and serving as part of the Ventures’ management team. The goals of this position are to 1) generate systemic change by lobbying government agencies and lawmakers to create public policies that are conducive to small business growth in our region; and 2) craft a favorable public image and generate “buzz” for the good work that Ventures is doing, with media and press outlets. We will rely on this person to chart a new path in each of these areas, designing strategy and implementing efficiently. Note: This position will work closely with existing marketing staff, whose focus is on digital media, graphic design, and branding.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Create a comprehensive advocacy strategy, plan, and budget, in accordance with Ventures’ existing internal planning documents o Lead staff and board in determining specific advocacy goals
- Conduct relevant research for policy priorities, including among Ventures clients o Advance policy goals with key decision-makers in the legislative and executive branches
- Monitor and analyze relevant activity on city, county and state level, with the potential to expand at the national level o Build capacity in Ventures staff and board to support our advocacy effort
- Develop policy proposals and advocate for them individually and in conjunction with key community partners
- Communicate with and brief the City of Seattle Mayor, city council members, King County Executive, State Representatives, Senators, their staff, and agency officials through in-person meetings, written communications, and phone calls as needed o Participate in social media activities to support advocacy goals
- Collaborate with the organization’s Resource Development (i.e. fundraising) team in support of Ventures’ fundraising agenda
Click here for more information.