AT YOUTHCARE: We value hard work and dedication to helping young people experiencing homelessness move from survival mode into thriving and healthy young adulthood. We also value a sense of humor and respect of each other and the young people we serve. YouthCare serves young people of many racial and ethnic backgrounds, abilities, sexual orientations, gender identities, and religious beliefs, and we seek a workforce that reflects that diversity.
ABOUT YOUTHCARE: YouthCare builds confidence and self-sufficiency for young people experiencing homelessness ages 12-24 by providing a continuum of care that includes homelessness prevention, street outreach, basic services, emergency shelter, housing, counseling, education, and employment training. Founded in 1974 as a three-bed emergency shelter program, our continuum now operates across nine locations and a variety of community-based partnerships. Several of our programs are national models, and we are a leader locally and across the country in serving runaway young people and young people experiencing homelessness , as well as young people who have experience sexual exploitation.
POSITION SUMMARY: Under the supervision of the Program Manager - Employment Training, the Employer Engagement Specialist will be responsible for establishing and building relationships with employers to create internship and job opportunities for youth. The position will utilize business development and customer relationship management best practices to meet employment outcome goals. The Employer Engagement Specialist will be split between supporting YouthCare’s staff and employment programming in connecting young people to employment and providing employer linkages to external agencies including the YMCA, Multiservice Center, and Learning Center North.
- Build a strategy and plan for engaging employers to hire YouthCare program participants that includes clarity about key goals of the work, measurable outcomes, as well as the services and supports YouthCare will offer employers who welcome young people to their workplace.
- Document job placement and retention attainments on a monthly basis to document job development progress, employer cultivation and retention, and young peoples’ outcomes. Maintain organized records of employer contacts and outreach activities. Ensure all client-related data is both current and accurate in the YouthCare’s Evaluation System (YES) or other records as assigned.
- Cultivate new, and steward existing employer relationships through active outreach including making initial contact with prospective employer partners, e-mail and phone communication and in-person meetings. Develop and maintain partnerships with businesses in the community that can provide employment and learning opportunities that are aligned with program and young peoples’ goals to increase employability and young people’s capacity to be successful.
- Maintain an understanding of the needs, skills, competencies and barriers to employment of current students and graduates by collaborating with Career Coordinators and Case managers and be able to speak with employers fluidly, candidly, and with enthusiasm about hiring YouthCare’s graduates.
- Oversee the development and implementation of an Employer Training Program that provides employers with best practices around training, hiring, employing and supporting young people with multiple barriers to employment.
- Act as a liaison with employers; solicit feedback and expectations that can help to improve YouthCare’s job training programs.
- Build collaborative relationship with Development Department to work in concert around leveraging existing business relationships, create and execute prospect lists and contribute to a workplace culture that encourages communication and collaboration. Co-create strategies for high profile/high impact employers and strengthen employer relations for YouthCare as a whole. This could include participating in Development Department meetings as is fitting, and meeting with Community Engagement and Volunteer Manager on a regular rotation.
- Coordinate and oversee the development of subsidized and non-subsidized private sector internships and on-the-job training for young people engaged in employment and training programs and young people living in YouthCare housing.
- Plan, organize and conduct young people-centric workshops that include resume preparation, interviewing and other “soft skills”. Further, leverage career panel opportunities and visiting speakers/volunteers to help you succeed in employment seeking efforts and potentially discovering previously unknown employment avenues that speak to their skills and/or passion.
- Meet bi-monthly with King County staff to discuss job referrals and identify client needs at partner agencies.
- Assist young people in identifying careers of interest and schedule career-related guest speakers, site visits, informational interviews, and/or linkages to entry-level positions.
- Partner with Employment and Education team to build compelling proposal verbiage and materials to engage employers to hire young people that have successfully completed training and work-readiness programming at YouthCare.
This job description is not intended to cover every aspect of your job at YouthCare. We are a team that works together to meet the needs of our clients and every member of the team is expected to pitch in and help even beyond the specific responsibilities listed in this description.
Click here for more information.