Job Summary and Mission
This position contributes to Starbucks success by executing tactical plans in global sourcing & supplier relations that develops a diverse-owned supply base (suppliers that are at least 51% owned by a minority, person with disability, veteran, women, LGBT or small business), that elevates the Starbucks Experience through a balance of relationship sourcing and supply chain excellence. Applicants should have a background & be familiar with strategic sourcing procurement principles, concepts, goals and objectives. This role is to drive awareness of Starbucks opportunities and connect diverse businesses from under-utilized population groups with the procurement & business teams that lead to contracting decisions for all types of products and services here at Starbucks. Models and acts in accordance with Starbucks guiding principles.
Elevate existing supplier development* program tools that creates a robust pipe line of high potential diverse-owned suppliers who complete comprehensive supplier immersions and are integrated into key Starbucks initiatives and events that directly supports strengthening Starbucks supply base & growth initiatives.
Summary of Key Responsibilities
Responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
• Identify (via mining databases), educate, develop, evaluate, analyze, high potential suppliers on their capabilities and potential fit for opportunities that not only meet our product and service needs but can also align with Starbucks mission and values.
• Ensure chosen/selected suppliers align to Starbucks sourcing strategies.
• Deliver measurable and strategic goals to enable bottom-line and top-line company growth, and corporate social responsibility leadership.
• Measure overall business effectiveness of the Supplier Diversity program helping to collect, track, summarize measurement data, creating reports and communicating status & results.
Supplier Engagement and Management:
• Leverage business and professional skills, influence & relationships with suppliers and industry players.
• Partner, influence, collaborate & communicate across the enterprise and with the relationships built outside of Starbucks.
• Independently solve problems and make decisions for primary and strategic execution and tactical issues within the relevant portfolio of projects and or processes.
• Provide day to day project(s) oversight and perform a hands-on execution role.
Leadership and Teamwork:
• Effectively motivate and collaborate within their team and across their peer group.
• Lead using demonstrated and proven experience and the application of best practice procurement skills.
• Lead & influence cross functional teams.
• Work within peer group and leadership infrastructure to ensure that best practice and opportunities are delivered.
• May collaborate with group procurement manager and or director of procurement.
• Communication skills with all peer groups and leadership teams.
Summary of Experience
• 5+ years analytical, planning, procurement, supply chain or other relevant experience
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Ability to apply knowledge of multidisciplinary business principles and practices to achieve successful outcomes in cross-functional projects and activities.
Excellent analytical skills, good judgment, discretion and ability to manage sensitive situations
Knowledge & experience of market analysis, sourcing category strategy, supplier relationship management & procurement principles
Knowledge of critical procurement legal requirements and contracting best practices
Knowledge & use of business ethics and Starbucks Social & Ethical Sourcing Requirements and responsibilities
Ability to influence at an Executive Level both internally and externally. Ability to lead and influence peer groups both internally and externally
Exceptional communication both written and oral
Proficiency in Excel, SmartSheets, PowerBI, Oracle, BI Apps, charting programs, PowerPoint, and others
• Ability to work well independently in a fast-paced team environment
• Ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and manage multiple projects
• Ability and willingness to work in diverse and inclusive environments
• Ability to handle multiple priorities and meet established deadlines
• Ability to communicate and work well with others
• Willingness to learn and engage with others demonstrating initiative, creativity and resourcefulness
• Customer Focus
- Delivers Starbucks legendary service that meets and exceeds all customers' expectations
• Ethics and Integrity
- Adheres to Starbucks values, beliefs and principles during good and bad times
- Remains calm, maintains perspective and responds in a professional manner when faced with tough situations
• Personal Learning
- Takes personal responsibility for the continuous learning of new knowledge, skills and experiences
• Dealing with Ambiguity
- Able to successfully function during times of uncertainty and changing priorities
- Makes timely and quality decisions based on a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience and judgment
• Interpersonal Savvy
- Builds effective relationships with all people; up, down and sideways, inside and outside of Starbucks
• Results Oriented
- Gets results and achieves goals
Starbucks is an equal opportunity employer of all qualified individuals, including minorities, women, veterans & individuals with disabilities. Starbucks will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with all federal, state, and local ordinances.
For more detailed program information please visit us online at Starbucks Supplier Diversity Program.
* Supplier Development - Supplier development is the process of working with certain Suppliers on a one-to-one basis to align the supplier expertise very closely and on a long-term basis with the buying organization’s business need, which may also be to improve their performance for the benefit of the buying organization. It is closely associated with supplier relationship management and partnering. The objectives for development can be relatively minor such as slight adjustments in staffing levels or very substantial such as the appraisal and re-launch of an entire range of critical products. There is no single approach to supplier development.