Member Candidate: Anthony Gipe

| Sep 29, 2016

GSBA has several members on the ballot this year. GSBA does not endorse candidates for elected office, but we are pleased to offer them a chance to speak to their fellow members.


To My Friends and Colleagues at GSBA:

GipeAs a proud, longtime member of the GSBA, I write to ask you to vote for me in my campaign to become a judge on King County Superior Court.  I believe that my breadth of experience, and my skills as a leader in the legal profession make me the best choice for the needs of the Superior Court and the needs of our community.

  • I have dedicated 30+ years to serving the public and serving justice.  I am a Navy veteran who served as an interpreter and intelligence analyst until “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.”  I left service because I couldn’t remain silent in the face of discrimination.  This is also why I became a civil right attorney and a family law attorney, where I work to correct the wrongs done by discrimination and to help families in need. 

     

  • I have the broadest trial experience of anyone in this race.  I have conducted dozens of trials in many different subjects including civil claims and family law, which is most of what the Superior Court handles day-to-day.  In fact, out of all cases that actually go to trial, only 25% are criminal trials, and the rest (75%) are civil, family, and other types of trials.  We need judges who are able to jump in and handle any type of case immediately.

     

  • I am the only candidate in this race with judicial experience serving as a pro tem judge and as an Arbiter.

     

  • I have been rated “Exceptionally Well Qualified” or “Well Qualified” for this position by five Bar Associations, including the King County Bar Association and four Minority Bar Associations.

     

  • I haves dedicated thousands of hours serving the public and the profession in areas of Access to Justice and Equality.  My pro bono work includes serving as counsel for three non-profits.  My service to the legal community includes serving as the first LGBT President in our State Bar Association’s 125-year history.  In everything I do, I focus on diversity, inclusion, and cultural competence in the legal profession and in our courts.

 

  • I am endorsed by all 9 Washington Supreme Court Justices, including Justice Mary Yu, as well as numerous key community leaders and organizations throughout King County.  My list of endorsers includes over 40 judges and over 25 elected officials, including House Speaker Frank Chopp, Seattle Mayor Ed Murray, and Seattle City Attorney Pete Holmes, Representative Brady Walkinshaw, and Senator Jamie Pedersen.  I have also been endorsed by the King County Democrats (sole endorsement), the King County Young Democrats (sole endorsement), the King County Labor Council, 16 Legislative District Democratic organizations, and all of the past presidents of the State Bar Association for the last ten years.  These individuals and organizations all agree that I have the skills, temperament, and judgment to serve on the Superior Court.

It is important to vote for judges who have a demonstrated track record of service and meet the needs of the court.  I hope you will support my candidacy and vote so that we have an experienced public servant and community leader on the Superior Court. 

You can learn more about me and my qualifications and accomplishments at: http://gipeforjudge.com/

Sincerely,


Anthony David Gipe

Candidate for King County

Superior Court, Position 52

Recent Posts