This week, we’re welcoming a new GSBA member nonprofit. Pink Boat Regatta. Join us in welcoming the Pink Boat team to the family!
The Pink Boat Regatta is a timed ‘round the buoys’ race in which participants compete on and off the water through a unique “buy-a-buoy” concept. For each $100 donated on behalf of a participant, the sailboat earns an extra “buoy” on race day, thus creating a fun, competitive, and highly effective fundraising environment.
THE PINK BOAT STORY
The Pink Boat Regatta began with a sailor, daughter, and scientist wanting to do more. Ashley Bell had recently fallen in love with sailing when she learned her mother had been diagnosed with breast cancer - for the second time.
Having been adopted at birth, Ashley hasn't met her mother until after the first diagnosis and treatment a decade earlier, and was determined to support her from several thousand miles away. Inspired by a sailing event in San Francisco, Ashley decided to rebrand the event and bring it to Seattle where she lives.
In 6 years, The Pink Boat Regatta has raised more than $460,000 for The Breast Cancer Research Foundation to date representing 100% of all net proceeds. These efforts have funded nearly 6,400 hours of research!
Every year, sailors and supporters alike start planning months ahead of time to don their pink, get their sailboats race ready, and begin campaigning as part of an event which was built upon by a passionate little Seattle sailing community dedicated to getting on the water for something greater. Something affecting us all. Something we CAN do something about, just by coming together and doing what we love most - being on the water.
Our 2018 events will include:
- Regattas in Bellingham, Seattle, and new for 2018: Tacoma
- Bellingham – August 25, 2018
- Seattle – September 8, 2018
- Tacoma – September 15, 2018
- “Day at the Races” Seattle spectator event during which our non-sailing supporters will board the Argosy Sightseer race day from which to enjoy the festivities, support the boat(s) of their choosing, and vote for the coveted ‘Pinkest Boat’ award recipient.
- Additional “Pink Power Squadron” powerboat format for Tacoma participants
For more information, visit our website at: www.pinkboatregatta.org.