For over 25 years, the LGBTQ Victory Fund and Institute (Victory) have helped to train, place, and elect thousands of openly LGBTQ public officials at every level of government. Our leaders have been catalysts for expanding legal rights for LGBTQ people across the country, and they have transformed our nation’s policies and shifted our political landscape towards equality, one election at a time. Today, over 800 LGBTQ Americans are serving in elected office due to the work of Victory, including 2 Governors and 9 Members of Congress, and the nation’s first out U.S. Senator.
Victory is seeking an accomplished Chief Operating Officer to manage the day-to-day operations of the organization, from administration (finance, information technology, reporting, facilities) to human capital (HR/recruiting, mentoring, career progression). The COO will partner closely with the President & CEO to chart Victory’s future growth and execute the organization’s strategic plan.
Financial Strategy, Vision and Leadership
- Advise the President & CEO and other key members of senior management on financial planning, budgeting, cash flow, and policy matters.
- Plan, coordinate, and execute the annual budget process and any necessary budget revisions
- Serve as the management liaison to the Board Finance and Audit Committee; effectively communicate and present critical financial matters at select board of directors and committee meetings.
- Support and execute Victory’s new five-year strategic plan and report out to the board on the progress of our goals and objectives.
- Maintain continuous lines of communication, keeping the President & CEO informed of all critical issues and contribute to the overall management of the organization.
- Serve as the primary contact with independent audit firm and ensure timely preparation of annual audited financial statements and 990 IRS tax filings.
- Represent the organization externally, as necessary, particularly in banking, lease, and other contractual negotiations.
Human Capital Management
- Provide for all staff a strong day-to-day leadership presence; bridge teams and support an open-door policy among all staff.
- Help build a diverse, transparent, and inclusive organizational culture.
- Ensure staff members receive timely and appropriate training and development.
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach: assign accountabilities; set objectives; establish priorities; and monitor and evaluate results.
- Lead the annual performance review process, supporting supervisors and staff in their reviews.
- Improve administrative and operational accounting services such as treasury management, employee benefits, grants payment processing, payroll, accounts payable, purchasing, and financial compliance.
- Partner with our IT consulting firm to manage and upgrade technology systems including hardware, software, and database systems.
- Provide analytical support to Victory’s internal management team and partner with staff to assess and upgrade data analytical tools and processes.
- Assure compliance with FEC, State and local political regulations as they relate to contributions to candidates, communications about candidates, and Political Action Committee (PAC) work including independent expenditure (IE) campaigns and all other aspects of complying with federal, state and local laws.
- Ensure timely and accurate filing of all federal and state political reporting requirements.
- Manage all campaign election firewalls that are needed and serves as primary contact for external IE vendors.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred or equivalent; 12 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Management experience with a nonprofit organization.
- Must be familiar with nonprofit finance and accounting regulations and be comfortable managing political compliance regulations.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills including negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers.
- Success in roles requiring execution of multiple tasks while responding to multiple priorities.
- Proven ability to work with efficiency, flexibility, and good humor.
- Operates with excellence in mind in all matters with the confidence to defend/debate ideas without ego interfering.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills are essential.
- Passion for Victory’s mission.
The salary range for this position is $125,000-$150,000.