Ventures is a Seattle-based nonprofit, founded in 1995, that empowers aspiring entrepreneurs with limited resources and unlimited potential to improve their lives through small business ownership. We provide access to business training, capital, coaching, incubation, and hands-on learning opportunities for entrepreneurs. We serve those in our community for whom traditional business development services are out of reach, with a focus on women, people of color, immigrants, and individuals with low incomes. Our ultimate goal is to support individuals to increase their income potential, achieve long-term financial stability, and provide for their families, and enrich their communities through small business ownership.
Ventures strives to provide impactful programs while maintaining a healthy work-life balance and a positive, team-oriented atmosphere. Our core values are diversity, integrity, community, empowerment, innovation, and client success. Our team typically consists of 10-20 employees, plus a corps of contractors and volunteers, as well as an engaged Board of Directors. We’re a highly collaborative team of mission-driven individuals who believe in impact and delivering high quality programs.
This position is responsible for planning, organizing and directing all of Ventures’ fundraising efforts including major gifts, events, grants, workplace giving, volunteers, and corporate engagement. In close collaboration with the Executive Director, the Director of Development will set fundraising strategy and provide leadership to a team of implementers who ensure fundraising efforts and plans meet the needs of the organization.
Leveraging the capacity of two other full-time employees who will report to you, accomplish the following:
Fundraising Strategy and Revenue Growth (60%)
- Lead in partnership with the Executive Director, Board of Directors and development team to create and implement strategies and tactics to meet or exceed the $1.5M Development Budget of $2.2M annual budget. Proactively seeks new and creative ways to implement fundraising strategies. Supports development staff in the creation and execution of an annual fundraising plan, department budget and department goals that are aligned with Ventures’ Strategic Plan. Draw on industry best practices and historical data to develop revenue goals. Monitor revenue and communicate progress with staff and board.
- Grants Strategy, Writing and Management: Serve as the lead grant writer and manager for a $1.2M portfolio of corporate, foundation and government grants. Manage all grant-related research, writing and reporting. Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with funders by executing on moves management plan. Work collaboratively with management team to pursue funding opportunities that may pivot organizational work.
- Annual, Major and Board Giving: Grow major gifts program, including identification, cultivation and solicitation of major donors. Manage a moves management plan for your portfolio of major donors. Support staff and board to manage their own portfolios with strategic cultivation and stewardship. Lead and coordinate the Board’s fundraising efforts, specifically related to major gift cultivation. Manage all board pledges. Work closely with Executive Director to maintain relationships with board members.
- Partnership Cultivation and Collaboration: Create, cultivate and maintain strong relationships and cross-sector partnerships, especially corporations, that complement Ventures mission, programs, and goals. Work collaboratively with Management Team to pursue strategic partnerships, funding opportunities, and communications projects. Support efforts to engage corporations as event sponsors and creative partners.
- Event Management: Lead annual fundraising event, meeting all monetary and non-monetary goals. Supervise and support team efforts to design and coordinate smaller fundraising or donor/volunteer appreciation events.
- Communications: Oversee the creation of all publications to support fundraising activities including newsletters, annual reports, impact reports, blog posts or social media posts. Support with copywriting and editing text.