You’re a builder with a creative streak who’s looking to make a mark and leave the world a better place in the process. We’ve got the job for you.
Grist seeks a Full-Stack Web Development Engineer to articulate and execute upon our product vision. The person in this role will report to Grist’s Director of Innovation and Growth and partner with internal stakeholders, as well external partners and developers, to iterate on improvements to Grist’s site and related platforms, prioritize them on our product roadmap, and create and ship code.
Founded in 1999, Grist is an independent, nonprofit media organization devoted to eye-opening environmental journalism that explores solutions, exposes injustice, and emboldens readers to act. In addition to the award-winning content on grist.org, we go beyond the page to foster an unlikely network of leaders to bring about a sustainable world that works for everyone. We’re working toward a planet that doesn’t burn and a future that doesn’t suck.
This full-time position would be based in Grist’s Seattle office. (As of March 2020, however, Grist's staff is working remotely.)
- Contribute to product-development iteration with internal and external stakeholders
- Own all stages of product development, from design and testing through shipping and support
- Write clean, concise, modular code that is easily testable
- Build low-defect, user-friendly systems
- Participate in an agile environment
- Lead and participate in code reviews
- Experience in WordPress front-end and back-end development, object-oriented PHP, and DNS management
- Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C#, including object-oriented design
- Proficient in server, network, and hosting environments, relational and nonrelational databases, and how to interact with APIs
- Skilled at translating loose business requirements into product and operational systems
- High comfort level in communicating with non-tech partners
- Experience working with remotes, branches and deployment in Git
- Passion for or experience in media
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent work/educational experience
- Experience with Gutenberg block editor
- REST API knowledge
To apply, please send a resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Full Stack” in the subject line. No phone calls, please. Compensation is competitive with similar engineering positions in the non-profit media sector.
Grist’s commitment to a diverse, inclusive staff reflects our vision of a just, sustainable world. We do our best work when we embrace differences and thrive when we explore them. We’re interested in hearing from people who can work with diverse colleagues of varied experiences. Grist provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.