To create and support 1:1 mentoring relationships that ignite the power and promise of youth.
Each employee in Big Brothers Big Sisters of Puget Sound helps to extend the mission of the agency in particular ways as outlined in the position description.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Puget Sound seeks a Staff Accountant who wants to make a difference with their accounting career by supporting a growing organization that is dedicated to positively impacting youth through 1:1 mentoring relationships in the community, workplaces, and schools in King and Pierce Counties.
The Staff Accountant is a key member of the Finance team and works closely with the agency’s Bookkeeper and CFO. This position has significant responsibility for timely and accurate recording of financial activities for the agency, and will become the subject matter expert on the BBBSPS accounting system. Primary responsibilities include month end processes, grant reporting, and preparation for audits. The Staff Accountant interacts with employees in all departments and provides assistance and training regarding accounting policies and procedures.
• Manages organizational accounting activities, including account reconciliations, journal entries, fixed asset records, and monthly and annual close processes.
• Prepares monthly/quarterly/annual compliance and grant reporting.
• Monitors and communicates cash requirements and grant spending.
• Collaborates with development staff to ensure ongoing reconciliation of pledges and contribution revenue between GL and donor database.
• Prepares timely, complete and accurate financial and other reports as assigned.
• Administers accounting software application; optimizes procedures; creates report formats.
• Provides backup support as needed on payroll and AR/AP processes.
• Provides assistance and training to other staff regarding accounting and internal control policies and procedures. Troubleshoots and provides solutions for problems.
• Supports the annual audit process with preparation of schedules and other materials.
• Maintains clear and updated procedures documentation in areas of own responsibility, and works with other finance staff to maintain and update accounting policies and procedures.
• Other responsibilities as determined.
• BA/BS in accounting or business
• Strong knowledge of GAAP and accrual accounting.
• Nonprofit accounting experience with knowledge of requirements for restricted funds and grant accounting, and/or strong interest in learning and developing in this area.
• Experience with accounting software (we use Abila MIP); intermediate or higher Excel skills.
• Proven self-starter with high standards for accuracy and attention to detail.
• A demonstrated commitment to high ethical standards.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills and ability to work well with others.
• Ability to work independently, exercising discretion and independent judgment, with strong problem solving skills.
• Ability to work well under pressure and manage competing demands while meeting deadlines.
• An understanding of confidentiality needs and ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
• Willingness to take on new responsibilities as the organization grows.
• Familiarity with Raiser's Edge or similar donor database software a plus.
• Ability to effectively promote the mission and values of BBBSPS both within the organization and with external organizational contacts.
COMPETENCIES NEEDED TO BE SUCCESSFUL WITHIN OUR ORGANIZATION:
We seek to hire for, and further develop with each employee, the following competencies that we have identified as critical to success for individual employees and for achievement of the BBBSPS mission:
• Core Competencies
o Accountability / Workload Management
o Customer Service Orientation
o Growth Mindset, Adaptability
o Cultural Sensitivity
o Expertise in Area of Focus
• Leadership Competencies
o Develops & Motivates Others
o External Relationship Builder
o Team Effectiveness
o Emotional Intelligence
o Organizational Growth Orientation
o Initiative & Results Driven
The environmental conditions described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
• Routine office environment.
• Limited independent travel.
• Physical demands: While performing duties of job, employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
• Work environment: The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and required skills. The job description may be subject to change to meet the needs of the organization.
Employment with BBBS Puget Sound is “at will,” meaning that either the employee or BBBS Puget Sound may end the employment relationship at any time and with or without cause.
Equal Employment Opportunity BBBSPS is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all qualified individuals. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
Americans with Disabilities Act Applicants as well as employees who are or become disabled must be able to perform the essential duties & responsibilities either unaided or with reasonable accommodation. The organization shall determine reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis in accordance with applicable law.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
with “Staff Accountant” in the subject line.