GSBA is Washington State’s LGBTQ+ and allied chamber of commerce. The mission of GSBA is to combine business development, leadership, and social action to expand economic opportunities for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer community and those who support equality for all. GSBA proudly serves as a connector across the region, bringing communities together through business while advocating for civil rights and small business. GSBA also promotes LGBTQ+ tourism through Travel Out Seattle, advocates for small businesses in Seattle’s Capitol Hill Neighborhood through the Capitol Hill Business Alliance (CHBA), and invests in the next generation of LGBTQ+ and allied leaders through the GSBA Scholarship & Education Fund.
Description of Position
We are looking for a Director of Marketing & Communications who has a passion for our mission and exceptional writing skills, the ability to think critically, problem-solve, and execute with speed. The Director of Marketing & Communications will be the organization’s lead on developing and executing an integrated, creative, and results-oriented communications strategy for GSBA that will enhance awareness of the organization’s value proposition and increase member engagement.
The Director of Marketing & Communications serves as a content creator, flexible and persuasive writer, frontline copyeditor, and proofreader for several communications channels. This is a rewarding and fast-paced job for a creative, energetic, and dynamic person who wants to use their skills and passion for small business, civil rights, and education to benefit the LGBTQ+ community.
This position works closely with all staff and leadership volunteers to advance our programmatic, public policy, communications, public relations, and fundraising goals. This position is based in Seattle and reports to the CEO. GSBA and the GSBA Scholarship & Education Fund have a $3.2 million operating budget with 13 full-time employees. It is governed by a 30-member Board of Directors.
- Oversee storytelling in support of organization’s mission, vision, and values
- Manage multiple visual brands with consistency, clarity, and creativity
- Manage marketing and communications staff and contractors
- Position the organization as a community connector
- Be the key point-person for all reactive and proactive media engagements
- Promote partnerships to increase membership and sponsorship opportunities
- Craft and promote effective and cohesive messages reflecting complex and sensitive community issues.
Create, coordinate, edit, and deploy digital and print communications
- Draft internal communications products including talking points, messaging documents, backgrounders, bios, press releases, fact sheets, and other materials as needed
- Draft remarks, statements, articles, action alerts, press releases, and other outward facing communications
- Work with staff and/or contractors to ensure content for website and social media pages are up-to-date and promote GSBA’s mission, programming, and advocacy work
- Be informed of and facilitate the effective use of new technologies and software that will enhance and facilitate external communications
- Work closely with the Scholarship staff to maximize communications initiatives targeted to membership and sponsorship cultivation and donors
- Must have at least five years of experience in a Marketing & Communications position
Demonstrated deep commitment to advancing the causes of the LGBTQ+ community
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to transgender, non-conforming, non-binary people as well as youth, racial, ethnic, cultural, and sexual diversity is essential
- Ability to write and edit clearly, compellingly, and quickly. Demonstrate capacity to write in a variety of formats, styles and voices - from short form web and social communications to press releases, long-form features, opinion pieces, speeches and more (writing samples will be requested and a writing test may be a part of the interview process).
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an ability to take initiative, work independently, or as a helpful team member.
- Commitment to GSBA and the GSBA Scholarship & Education Fund’s mission, understanding the importance of small business, social values, and a personal commitment to equity and inclusion.
- A demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and be composed under pressure
Strong organizational and project management skills including a passion for detail and follow-through
- An ability to work flexible hours when necessary, including some evenings and weekends for special events
- Experience and knowledge working with Microsoft Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, WordPress
- Demonstrable experience with and enthusiasm for social media including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, blogs, and social media management tools
Salary is $80,000-$90,000 depending on experience and qualifications. Excellent employer paid benefits include medical, dental, and short-term disability insurance and option to invest in an individual retirement account with an employer match.
Send letter of interest (include your experience with the LGBTQ+ community), resume, three writing samples, and how you heard about this position to: Rachel Chernin, VP of Operations, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include “Director of Marketing & Communications” in the subject line of your email.
The position is available immediately. All applications will be reviewed and acted upon as they are received and the position will be filled as soon as the appropriate candidate is found. It is therefore recommended, that you submit your materials as soon as possible.
Commitment to Inclusivity, Equity and Representation
GSBA is an equal opportunity employer committed to having a diverse staff and board reflective of the communities we serve. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and other underrepresented and historically marginalized groups.