Office Assistant Job Description
Sep 17, 2020
About Seattle Out & Proud (“Seattle Pride”)
Create unity, honor diversity, and achieve equal human rights throughout our region and the world.
We coordinate and promote LGBTQIA+ pride events in the Seattle area celebrating the present, envisioning the future, and honoring the past.
Seattle Out & Proud (referred to as “Seattle Pride”) is an organization currently comprised of two full-time staff (executive director and program manager), supported by an engaged Board of Directors, and contracts outside of the organization for specific initiatives. Seattle Out & Proud is a registered 501(c)4 organization and annually produces such events as the Seattle Pride Parade and Pride in the Park, as well as the quarterly Seattle Pride Magazine. We also provide grants and sponsorships to LGBTQIA+-serving organizations and initiatives, and work to increase LGBTQIA+ advocacy.
About the Administrative Assistant Position
• This is a part-time position (0.5 FTE), not eligible for overtime
• 20 hours/week
Salary & Benefits
• $25,000/year (equating to $24.03/hr)
• While we are not offering health benefits at this time, we will provide $150/month as a healthcare stipend
• Flexible scheduling available (within reason, to still meet business needs)
This position will primarily be performed remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but this position’s obligations (below) do require this individual to come to our office (Pioneer Square) and storage room (Capitol Hill) on occasion.
Street parking is often available immediately around the building, which is located on 1 st Ave in Pioneer Square. The Pioneer Square Light Rail station is two blocks away, as is access to the WSDOT ferry system and West Seattle passenger ferry.
Reporting Structure & Staff Breakdown
The Office Assistant reports directly to the Executive Director. Seattle Pride also employs a Program Manager (who held this position previously!).
We acknowledge that “experience” comes in many forms! That is why items in bold are non-negotiable requirements, while all else can be discussed on a case-bybase basis.
• Access to your own1 laptop & cell phone
• Access to reliable transportation
• Direct experience in a comparable role
• Current, working knowledge of Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google Suite (Sheets, Docs, Drive)
• Working2 knowledge of / experience with QuickBooks / QuickBooks Online for the purposes of Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable duties
• Working knowledge of web-based programs pertaining to event registration, graphic design and/or surveys
• High school diploma or GED equivalent
• Fast, proficient, and accurate typist
• Excellent customer service skills
• Self-starter who works well independently
• Ability to prioritize given tasks and work efficiently towards completing them
• Familiar with common office equipment (printer, copier)
• Detail-oriented and exceptional organizational skills
• Experience with complex file management a plus
• Strong problem solver and analytical thinker
• Professional demeanor
1 Since this position will be working with financial data, we do require that the computer you use be only accessed by you.
2 ‘Working’ refers to having had professional experience, with minimal instruction required.
Here is a list of the software programs we use in a typical day:
• Google Suite (Sheets, Docs, Forms) – for so, so much
• Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)… but can be swapped out for Google Suite programs.
• Slack – for communication with staff and Board members
• 1Password – for password management
• Typeform – surveys and forms
• Email Octopus – email campaigns
• Docusign – contracting
• QuickBooks Online – accounting / bookkeeping
• Salesforce – donor and partner management
• Asana – project management
• Canva – graphic design
• Craft CMS – website
Job Duties – Office & Projects
• Support the executive director with organizational tasks (filing, deadline management, calendaring, etc.)
• Perform general accounting and bookkeeping duties
• Support the program manager with managing program registrations and acquiring program materials
• Assist in donor development activities; research, material preparation, etc.
• Update the Seattle Pride website with Event listings as they come in
• Plan and schedule meetings, presentations, and other office-related events; send reminders regarding upcoming appointments
• Suggest changes to office task workflow to improve efficiency
• Answer emails in a professional manner and direct messages to appropriate persons
• Assist in preparation of presentation materials
• Manage the contracting and invoicing process of Seattle Pride’s corporate partners in coordination with our Partnership Consultant
• Take meeting notes at team meetings, and assign follow-up tasks as needed
Job Duties – Events
• On-site assistance with events (mandatory)
o Vote with Pride (October 4 – November 1, 2020)
o Pride is Visible (February, 2021)
o Pride in the Park (June 12, 2021 | 10AM – 7PM)
o Pride Parade (June 27, 2021 | 10AM – 4PM)
• If physical events are not permitted due to the pandemic, Seattle Pride does intend to provide virtual events for the LGBTQIA+ community and this position would be required to assist.
Statement on Equal Employment Opportunity
Seattle Out & Proud (“Seattle Pride”) provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
How to Apply & Hiring Process
Please send the following items to Krystal Marx, Executive Director of Seattle Out & Proud (firstname.lastname@example.org). Only complete applications will be considered, however we are happy to answer any questions sent through email to assist you.
• Cover Letter, to include:
o Why you’re interested
o Whether or not you meet the requirements listed in bold
• Two references
o One professional, and one either professional or volunteer (no personal references at this time)
Complete applications will be considered until 5PM PST on Sunday, September 20th , 2020.
First and second interviews, as needed: September 21st – 28th , 2020. Anticipated start date: October 1st – 9 th , 2020.
Interviews will be held over Zoom or, if desired, in our Pioneer Square office in a physically distanced manner.
Krystal Marx, Executive Director: email@example.com | 206.291.7574