Click here to learn more and to apply.
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center is an independent, nonprofit organization providing adult cancer treatment and groundbreaking research focused on cancer and infectious diseases. Based in Seattle, Fred Hutch is the only National Cancer Institute-designated cancer center in Washington.
With a track record of global leadership in bone marrow transplantation, HIV/AIDS prevention, immunotherapy and COVID-19 vaccines, Fred Hutch has earned a reputation as one of the world’s leading cancer, infectious disease and biomedical research centers. Fred Hutch operates eight clinical care sites that provide medical oncology, infusion, radiation, proton therapy and related services, and network affiliations with hospitals in five states. Together, our fully integrated research and clinical care teams seek to discover new cures to the world’s deadliest diseases and make life beyond cancer a reality.
At Fred Hutch we value collaboration, compassion, determination, excellence, innovation, integrity and respect. These values are grounded in and expressed through the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion. Our mission is directly tied to the humanity, dignity and inherent value of each employee, patient, community member and supporter. Our commitment to learning across our differences and similarities make us stronger. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an anti-racist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, anti-racism and inclusion.
Reporting to the senior director of communications, the senior manager of employee and patient communications oversees communications with our clinical staff, providers and patients and serves as a communications strategist to support a world-class experience for patients and colleagues throughout the organization. The person in this role is responsible for managing and developing a high-performing team that promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion. They are also responsible for building strong relationships with executive leaders and colleagues across clinical, research and administrative units, providing communications expertise and support to achieve organizational objectives and advance our mission.
This role offers a hybrid of virtual work with some on-site work.
- Lead, develop and implement high-visibility integrated communications efforts and strategies focused on internal audiences who work in our health care settings and on general communications to existing patients.
- Prioritize communications and projects that inform, engage and motivate employees, providers and partners to advance Fred Hutch's mission, strategic goals and brand, and which help ensure an excellent patient experience.
- Work in collaboration with service line managers, care providers, and staff in clinical, operational and administrative departments to identify strategic communications needs and ensure consistency of information shared with patients and staff.
- Provide recommendations and guide the development of communications plans.
- Review and edit communications drafted by internal stakeholders and make recommendations to ensure messaging is consistent with organizational goals and brand/style guidelines.
- Serve as a communications advisor and contact for incident command teams and clinical operations and committee meetings. Develop, plan and manage integrated strategies and responses to risk management and crises scenarios.
- Manage, direct and oversee the work of junior staff and/or vendors, promoting a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning, innovation and quality. Mentor staff and promote diversity, equity and inclusion within the team.
- Manage clinical communications as part of integrated communications and marketing projects and campaigns across channels that include town halls/events, web sites, email and social media.
- Plan and oversee production and distribution of engaging content, including announcements, newsletters, executive briefings and presentation materials, messaging documents, event content, signage, and social media posts. Identify opportunities to create and package resources to support communicators and leaders across the organization.
- Gather and report data demonstrating project effectiveness and impact; use quantitative and qualitative data, including competitive/professional landscape analysis, to identify approaches for enhancing and measuring communications impact and fostering an inclusive culture.
Please include a cover letter and at least two writing samples with your application.
Fred Hutch has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy, and there are no exceptions for any employee who is patient-facing and/or requires access to Fred Hutch facilities.
Exceptions exist only for employees whose positions are fully remote, with no required access to campus. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees requiring access to campus must provide proof of vaccination before their first day of employment.
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 206-667-4700.